Tuesday, August 23, 2011

In the Beginning

In the beginning there was a girl.

She was a bit unsure of herself.

But she knew that women were not unsure of themselves and so she put on her coat of confidence and went out into the world.

Women love themselves.

Women relish life.

Women are comfortable in their own skin.

These truths became hers and she lived them fully.

Her body changed with time, with injury, with the birth of children, with complacency.

And one day she woke up and realized that while she could still claim her truth of loving herself, relishing life and comfort with herself, they were only partially true because without them she could not be the woman she wanted to be and without them how could she raise a daughter who would love herself, relish her life and be comfortable in her own skin.

But the greater truth was that she had grown complacent.

She had grown lazy.

She no longer looked like the woman that she felt she was inside.

And she was so sick and tired of feeling that way.

And so she decided to make a change.

------------------------

I am that woman.

35 in just a few weeks.

I am overweight.

I am beautiful.

I am healthy.

I am strong.

I am also no longer content to watch 
myself soften into weakness only looking 
back to decades past remembering what
 I used to do and how I used to feel.

And so I'm sharing it with you.

My journey back to me.

------------------------

Today
I am 34 years old.
I am 5 foot 7 inches tall
I weigh 175 pounds

and today is the last day of my life that statement will be true.

1 comment:

  1. I've been having the same thoughts too. When you get so caught up in caring for your family and forget about yourself. Then you remember, take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live. Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete